Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Quite Clever

Gaius stared at the spot where the Giant Claw had been found. It was empty.

Obviously though, thought Gaius, one might dig round about, and find other parts.

I suppose you've looked round about for other parts? he asked Dr Yates.

Most certainly, said Dr Yates. The thing is, there are bones here from many animals all jumbled together. It's not easy to tell what's part of what.

May I have an exploratory poke around? asked Gaius.

Do you have your own implements? asked Dr Yates.

Yes I do, said Gaius, thinking that he had the glittering knife somewhere in a pocket.

But of course he did not.

Arthur had it.

That ARTHUR! thought Gaius. I thought he was reliable, but I seem to have misjudged.

My assistant has my implement, said Gaius. I'm very sorry about that. May I borrow something of yours?

Arthur has it, you mean? said Dr Yates. Yes I wonder where he's got to? Perhaps we ought to be worried. After all, he has no bicycle now. Should we send out a search party?

No, said Gaius. Just lend me a knife.

That's odd, thought Dr Yates. We hardly ever use knives.

Lavender, Ouvert and Baby Pierre had been listening.

Where can Arthur be? said Lavender.

Well, you can see into the future, said Baby Pierre.

Lavender thought hard about the future, but she couldn't see Arthur.

He's back there, she said. He'll be coming.

You don't know, said Baby Pierre. That's the past.

It's the same thing , said Lavender.

Ouvert thought that was quite clever.



No comments: