Friday, September 14, 2012

Middle Sized Claws

Don't you like the story? said Arthur.

I didn't like the way it was going, said Marigold.

Where was it going? asked Arthur.

Diamond encrusted suspenders, said Marigold.

Yes, yes! said Ageless, not helping.

That's not where it was going, said Arthur. That was a detail, a frisson, a blip.

I liked it, said Ageless.

It was gender offensive, said Marigold.

You can't say that till the end, said Arthur.

We'll be there soon, said Marigold.

We won't, said Arthur. I'm terminating the story..

At Alcoota, I mean, said Marigold.

Oh....good, said Arthur.

And it was true. Soon they were there.

Marigold pulled up at the campsite.

Dr Yates! she called.

Dr Brick! answered Dr Yates, coming back from the dig at a trot. Great to see you! Look what we've found here!

What is it? asked Marigold Brick.

Two more Giant Claws, said Dr Yates. Dug up by our amateur friend.

They look to me, said Marigold, like Middle Sized Claws.

Oh, come on! said Dr Yates. Let's get out a tape measure.

He went into a tent, and came back with a tape measure.

He started to measure the Claws.

Gaius came up, with the others trailing behind.

Arthur, he cried. And Ageless! I have bones to pick with you.

What did we do? said Arthur.

Desertion, said Gaius. Retaining my knife. Not retaining my bicycle. Failing to mend a puncture. Need I go on?

Wasn't me, said Ageless. Not any of that. It was Arthur.

Desertion, said Gaius, looking sternly at Ageless. Of your little friends here. That was you.

Ageless looked shifty.

Arthur looked sour.


No comments: