Saturday, September 15, 2012

Thirty Pieces of Silver

The campfire was roaring. Billy can tea flowed like wine. And Marigold had brought energy chocolate.

Dr Yates was thinking about Arthur's story and the actions of the queen.

Is it actually possible to clap while flat on your back balancing on your elbows? he asked.

Let's see, said Marigold Brick.

She lay flat on her back with her legs in the air.

Ageless craned forward, regretting that Marigold wore trousers.

Marigold jammed her elbows close to her body and attempted to clap.

It was possible, but not with the palms. Her fingers made a flopping sound, that had little authority.

You see, said Dr Yates.

I don't see, said Marigold. The queen may have had longer arms.

Let's ask Arthur, said Gaius. Arthur, what size arms do you see on the queen?

Middle sized, said Arthur.

That's not funny, sniffed Gaius. You know I am still disappointed.

What about? said Arthur.

My Middle Sized Claws, said Gaius.

Don't be sad, said Lavender.

Yes, cheer up, Gaius, said Marigold. Have some energy chocolate.

I have Middle Sized Claws, said Ageless. I've never been disappointed.

Your claws are magnificent, said Dr Yates. That reminds me, I want them for something. I mean, I want YOU, he corrected himself quickly.

I'm busy, said Ageless. Very busy.

It will just be for a few days, said Dr Yates persuasively. I'm making a film about claws.

Not mine, said Ageless. Unless.......How much would you pay for my claws?

Thirty dollars, suggested Lavender.

Keep out of it Lavender, said Baby Pierre. Ageless, you CAN'T!


No comments: