Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Violent Past

How come Tom gets a knife? demanded Irma.

Because he gave me a melon, said Arthur.

Well, ..... here's a friendship bracelet, said Irma.

Thank you said Arthur, but I have nothing to give you. I haven't got anything else.

Then how can you leave? asked Emma? If you haven't got anything?

Arthur hadn't thought about that. Now he did.

It was true, he hadn't got anything. He hadn't got water, he hadn't got food, he hadn't a bicycle and now he hadn't even a knife.

Would you like the knife back? asked Tom. I won't be allowed to keep it anyway.

Err, yes, please, said Arthur

Arthur took the knife back.

Thanks, Tom, said Arthur.

Now he had a knife.

I do have a knife, he told Irma.

And a friendship bracelet, said Irma. Don't forget about that.

And a melon, said Tom

Both useless, said Arthur. It's the knife that I need if I'm going to catch up with Verlaine.

Verlaine? exclaimed Tom. You mean Monsieur Verlaine? The bald guy that's a really bad sport?

Is he your friend? asked Irma.

Not exactly, said Arthur. Not any more. Not since he went into hysterics and shot me twice in the wrist.

Wow! said Tom. Are you going to kill him?

Of course not, said Arthur. Not unless he attempts to kill me.



No comments: