Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Impossible Things

Gaius poked about with the hammers, chisels and scrapers that Dr Yates had lent him.

I could do a lot more with a knife, he muttered. These tools are soft.

Dr Yates chose to ignore this remark.

Clang! Gaius struck something.

Careful there, said Dr Yates. What have you struck?

Another Giant Claw, said Gaius. Here, let me dig it out.

No no! cried Dr Yates. You must go slowly. Use the brush.

The brush? said Gaius, gouging out the dirt around the second Giant Claw. I don't need a brush. I need a knife.

Dr Yates stared at the emerging Giant Claw.

How was it possible that this amateur had uncovered such a find almost at once?

Oh wonderful! said Gaius. Here's another!.

He dug ferociously, and moments later ripped two Giant Claws from their resting place in the fossil bed.

I think you'll find they are undamaged, he said, handing them to Dr Yates.

Dr Yates was flabbergasted. Now there were three Giant Claws. What could it mean?

.........

Meanwhile Arthur and Ageless were walking along the road towards Alcoota. It was hot.

I'm dry, said Ageless. I need to be kept moist.

Would you like a drink of milk? asked Arthur. I've got some left.

Lobsters don't drink milk, said Ageless. Are you sweaty?

Sweaty? said Arthur. No, why?

You could put me inside your shirt, said Ageless. To keep me moist.

There are things I will not do, said Arthur. That's one of them.

Fair enough, said Ageless. Everyone has to die.

Is that a threat? asked Arthur.

No I meant me, said Ageless. Tell me a story Arthur. It will help to pass the time.

Alright, said Arthur. Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess.

How beautiful? asked Ageless.

Not perfectly beautiful, said Arthur. For she had one green leg.

Eeeuw! said Ageless. Green!

It was green, said Arthur. Her father the king didn't even know. But then one day he saw it.

Under what circumstances? asked Ageless. A strong wind or what?

Swimming lessons, said Arthur.

Just then a Jeep pulled up.


No comments: