Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Marigold Brick

Hello, said the driver of the Jeep. Would you like a lift?

That depends where you're going, said Arthur.

The Fossil Beds, said the driver. Where else? And you must be too. Or you're going the wrong way. Hop in!

Thanks, said Arthur, helping Ageless into the Jeep.

What's your name? asked the driver.

Arthur, said Arthur. And this is Ageless. He's just finished moulting and has to stay wet.  Have you got any water?

I have, said the driver. Help yourself. My name is Marigold. Marigold Brick. I'm a scientist.

I'm a poet, said Arthur.

I'm a lobster, said Ageless.

I know, said Marigold.

Do I look like a poet? asked Arthur.

No, he looks like a lobster, said Marigold. But you do actually look like a poet. A particular poet. Who is it....... I know! Arthur Rimbaud!

That's who I am, said Arthur.

Poet and enfant terrible, said Marigold. I've read all your poems. Pleased to meet you. What are you doing out here?

I have no idea, said Arthur. I seem to be doing a series of pointless good deeds.

Do you mind doing another one? said Ageless. I need to be wetted.

Arthur sprinkled some water on Ageless.

Arthur's been telling me a story, said Ageless, immediately feeling improved.

Oh I do love a story! said Marigold. Go on with it, Arthur, I'm sure I'll catch up.

Alright, said Arthur. The king was shocked to see his daughter's green leg. He went to visit the queen, from whom he was estranged. Show me your legs, he said, without any preliminaries. The queen lifted her voluminous skirts on one side, and extended a delicate leg. It was pink, and encased in a sheer black stocking held up by two diamond encrusted suspenders. That's only one leg, said the king. Show me the other. I fear I must refuse, said the queen.......

Stop! Stop! cried Ageless. Tell me more about the diamond encrusted suspenders!

No, said Arthur. There's no more to tell about them.

Well just say it again, said Ageless.

That's enough! said Marigold Brick.


No comments: