Saturday, January 5, 2013

An Innocence That Comes Not From Within

Where is my daughter? roars Bunny's dad.

Upstairs, says Arthur, getting to his feet. You must be Bunny's dad.

Pastor Moon to you, boy, says Pastor Moon.

Arthur gets up and edges towards the kitchen drawer, hoping to find a knife.

Forget it boy, says Pastor Moon. The knives are all locked up.

Dad! says Bunny, coming down the stairs. This is Arthur. He needs a laying on of hands.

I'll give him a laying on of hands! says Pastor Moon, making a fist.

Arthur is a friend of Jesus, says Bunny. Look at him.

Pastor Moon takes a long hard look at Arthur.

Arthur's eyes are a mesmerising double shade of blue, and he radiates an innocence that does not come from anywhere inside. Pastor Moon is naturally disarmed.

A friend of Jesus, smiles Pastor Moon. Welcome, lad. Bunny, make a cup of tea, and butter up a bun.

The knives are all locked up daddy, says Bunny. I can't butter up a bun.

I shall unlock the knife drawer just this once, says Pastor Moon. He takes a ring of keys out of his pocket, and gives her one.

Tell me about Jesus, says Pastor Moon, sitting on a straight backed kitchen chair.

Could I have the laying on of hands first? says Arthur. Or failing that, a sponge?

Certainly, says Pastor Moon. Bunny, fetch a sponge.

Bunny fetches a sponge, and then goes back to buttering the bun.

Arthur wipes his knees, and shoves the sponge into his pocket.

Dad, says Bunny. I want to go with Arthur to meet Sweezus, down at Middleton.

Sweezus? says Pastor Moon. Who is he?

It's what Jesus calls himself now, says Bunny. Because it's a cooler name.

Middleton, says Pastor Moon. Isn't that in South Australia?

Yes it is, says Arthur. Bunny will like it there. There's surf and stick insects and whales and dolphins and Mrs Swales' craft and pizza shop, as well as all my friends.....

I too will like it there, says Pastor Moon. Of course I shall have to arrange a locum.

Are YOU coming, daddy? says Bunny, looking scared.

You don't think I would let you go without me? says Pastor Moon. I relish the opportunity to meet our lord. When are you planning to leave?

Day before Christmas, says Arthur.

Arthur doesn't care who comes. Although Mrs Hume may not be pleased.

I'm taking him a present for his birthday, daddy, says Bunny.

Very thoughtful, says Pastor Moon. What will it be?

A novelty pen, says Bunny. Arthur says that's what he likes.

I have some catalogues in my office, says Pastor Moon. I shall help you choose from those.

Bunny and her father disappear into a side room, while Arthur eats the bun.

No comments: