Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Unley to Stirling - Whirrings

The Titan is tired of remarks like that. What does a dragonfly know?

Think about it, says the Titan. Why would I need to pretend I'm a stick?

Ha ha, laughs the dragonfly. It's obvious you're pretending to be stick. Look at you.

You still don't get it, do you, says the Titan. I look how I look. If I look like a stick, I look like a stick. Sometimes it's useful and sometimes it's not. But I'm not pretending to be something I'm not. I'm myself.

An existentialist, sneers the dragonfly.

The Titan is stung.

You can talk, says the Titan. You look like a short stick that can fly. What's the point of that?

A short stick that can fly! gasps the dragonfly. I'm going to report you. This is the Botanical Gardens you know. You can't get away with such language!

The Titan doesn't want to be reported. He likes it on the lotus leaf. He becomes conciliatory.

I have wings too, says the Titan.

Do you,  where are they? asks the dragonfly.

Here, says the Titan, whirring his wings. I can fly, but my wife can't.

No kidding? says the dragonfly. I'm not married.

Nor am I really, says the Titan. I just meant in general, the ladies, they can't.

..............

We must leave the Titan and the dragonfly, whose conversation took place last Monday. It is now Thursday and already Stage Three of the Tour has been won, by a newcomer, Tom-Jelte Slagter of Team Blanco Pro.

The race is over and Arthur is talking to Sweezus, while the girls are off buying icecreams.

You know why Bunny's keeping half her prize money? says Arthur. She thinks you're too selfish.

Selfish, me? says Sweezus. No way! I owe money and I want to pay it back. What's selfish about that?

Nothing, says Arthur. But Bunny thinks it is. She says you only think of yourself. She's giving her half to the poor.

The poor! says Sweezus. What does she think I am?

Bunny's pretty naive, says Arthur.

Hmm, yeah, I suppose so, says Sweezus.

Bunny and Belle come back with four melting icecreams.

Guess what, says Bunny. We were talking to Tom-Jelte Slagter!

Wup! So what? says Sweezus.

He's going to give half his winnings to the poor, says Bunny. I convinced him.

Isn't that lovely? says Belle et Bonne.

Yes, lovely, says Arthur. Now Bunny, I have an idea.



No comments: