Thursday, January 3, 2013

Miracle And Death Wish

Arthur and Bunny are walking down the Leura Cascades track amongst the banksias, discussing pens.

I like a fountain pen myself, says Arthur. Call me old-fashioned. But Sweezus strikes me more as a novelty pen man.

Thanks for the tip, says Bunny. I know where I can get a really cute one.

They walk until they reach a sign that reads Pool of Siloam.

Let's go and see it, says Bunny. It's in the Bible. It should be amazing.

It wouldn't be the same Pool of Siloam, says Arthur. Not if it's in the Bible.

Bunny looks disappointed.

Tell me the story, says Arthur, although he knows it. His mother made him read the Bible every Sunday.

Well, says Bunny, there's this blind man, blind from birth. And he meets Jesus and Jesus gets a handful of dirt and spits on it. That's how Jesus makes mud. Then he wipes the mud on the man's eyes. Then he says Now go and wash it off in the Pool of Siloam. And the man does, and then he can see.

Nice story, says Arthur, although it begs a lot of questions.

No it doesn't!  says Bunny. Not if you believe it's true.

The Pool of Siloam does look rather pretty. Water splashes over rocks into a shallow pool.

Lets paddle in it, says Bunny. Then whatever's wrong with us will be cured.

Nothing's wrong with me, says Arthur, forgetting all about his scabby knees.

What about your scabby knees? says Bunny.

 Arthur takes his shoes off and steps in.

...........

Sweezus meanwhile is paddling out to sea, to rescue Farky.

Back on shore Gaius is waxing lyrical.

This reminds me of the time Vesuvius erupted, says Gaius. And I went out regardless of the danger in my little boat.......

Yes, yes, says Freud impatiently. I suppose you had a death wish.....

Belle et Bonne looks alarmed.

A death wish! Does Sweezie have a death wish? She hasn't thought of that before.

She looks anxiously at Midge.

Come on! says Midge. Let's get out there, Belle. Grab your board. Just wait a tick I might as well bring my camera.....

The girls head for the water and paddle out in the wake of Sweezus.

Gaius and Freud are left to mind the towels.


No comments: