Sunday, January 20, 2013

What Would They Do Without Her?

It is Monday, a rest day. Team Ethical are picnicking in the Botanical Gardens beside the Lotus Pond. As luck would have it, Team Philosophe have picked the very same spot to eat their lunch.

Look at that, says Belle et Bonne. I knew they would turn up. In a minute they'll be over here to see what we've got to eat...... Oh, hello papa!

Hello my dear, says The Velodrone. What a coincidence, seeing you.

Nonsense, says Belle et Bonne. I'll bet you haven't brought a proper picnic. Come on over, and bring the others. We've got strawberry salad, chicken wings, melon and lovely chilled white wine.

Team Philosophe comes over to join Team Ethical.

Well, this is very nice, says David. We'd only got some crisps.

I hear you have a  secret weapon, says Professor Freud to Arthur, sitting down.

Yes, says Arthur, but it has passed inspection, unlike yours.

Professor Freud looks pleased. He picks up the biggest chicken wing and bites into it.

You've heard about my Titan? says Professor Freud.

Everyone has, says Sweezus, sounding irritated.

Everyone? says Vello, looking annoyed.

I haven't, says Bunny. What is his Titan?

It's just a very big stick insect my dear, says Freud, carelessly.

It's all part of their race plan, says Belle et Bonne.

Much good it did them yesterday, says Sweezus.

As much good as your frog cake, says Gaius. I prefer the tried and true.

We know all about your tried and true mints, Gaius, says Sweezus. They got you into trouble. But how does the stick insect work?

As if we would tell you! scoffs Gaius.

Ha ha! laughs David. You'll just have to guess.

I'm guessing, says Arthur, that it's something to do with the wings, and wind speed.

Well deduced, Arthur, says Professor Freud. But no, it's not. It's more to do with ...

Shut up, Sigmund! says The VeloDrone. They are our rivals now!.

Oh papa, says Belle et Bonne. It's only a bicycle race. But I know why you're cross. You usually have me organizing the picnics, and the first aid too, and bringing up the drinks.

Yes, yes, sobs The VeloDrone. My dearest Belle et Bonne, what shall we do without you? What made you join Team Ethical?

Money, says Belle et Bonne. But so far we haven't made any.

Tomorrow we will, says Bunny. It's Prospect to Lobethal, a hill climb and I'm a climber. I'll win us some money!

Better ease off on the wine then, Bunny dear, says Belle et Bonne.


No comments: