Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Faith Hope And Charity

Farky thinks he is saved.

He drops the paddle into the water.

Crunch! Har Har! says Old Nick chomping on the paddle. Now do you trust me?

Yes, says Farky, doubtfully.

Burnt your bridges, haven't you! says Old Nick. But you can trust Old Nick. Get off that board and into the water.

Farky remembers his dream of several night before. The blood oranges, Arthur's scabby knees, the menacing teeth of the shark.....

But that was just a dream. This is reality.

Decide Farky! Decide!

............

A helicopter circles overhead.

Shark! says Surfing-With-Whales.

Farky's out there! says Sweezus. Yikes!

Yikes? says Belle et Bonne. Is that all you have to say?

Yes, Sweezus, says Midge, witheringly. It was you that sent him out.

He's got a paddle, says Sweezus. But yeah, I guess it's down to me.

Sweezus grabs his surfboard and heads for the water.

Only Gaius thinks that this is sensible.

..........

Arthur and Bunny are exchanging poetical ideas.

I knew I was a poet when I was seven, says Arthur. I hated the conventional life. I bit a girl on the bottom once, when she sat on me. She wasn't wearing pants. I put it in a poem.

Nice, says Bunny. I started writing poetry a bit more recently.

You mean just now? says Arthur. I thought as much. But you can come back with me if you like.

Thanks, says Bunny.  I really want to meet your friend.

Which one? says Arthur.

You know, says Bunny. Your friend Jesus-Sweezus. And I want to get him a present for his birthday. What do you think he'd like?

I don't know. A pen? says Arthur. Pen's are always useful. I bought him a bracelet. He liked that. It was yellow ostrich leather, with a stud.

They stood up, for they had been sitting on the edge of the steep precipice, and walked back along the track like reasonably good friends.




No comments: