Thursday, January 31, 2013

Ethical Debate Postponed

The Australia Day weekend is over. The Miracle Tent has been dismantled and everyone has gone home, miraculously healed, or better off in various other ways.

It's Tuesday morning. Sweezus, Arthur, Tom-Jelte, Ray Moon and Mrs Hume have dropped in at Mrs Swales's, to say goodbye.

Come in, come in, says Lauren Swales. I'm making scones. Bob! Your friends are here!

Surfing-With-Whales emerges from his bedroom.

Bob! says Mrs Hume. Is that your real name, dear?

No, says Surfing-With-Whales. That's just what mum calls me. She forgets.

Lauren Swales winks at Mrs Hume. Boys! says Lauren Swales.

I know, says Mrs Hume. My own son David, the French call him Le Bon David, I could never fathom why, but of course the name has stuck.

Sit down I'll make you all a cup of tea, says Mrs Swales. Now then, tell me, did you witness any miracles? What happened to the famous frog cake Arthur?

Nothing, says Arthur.

No no, not nothing, says Tom-Jelte. It was very fine. Arthur ate the frog cake then he threw up. It was called dancing with Jesus. Then we all did the conga, and put some money in the plate. But it was so beautiful you know. If any one was needing money they were allowed to take some out.

But no one did, says Mrs Hume.

You may think that, Katherine, says Raymond Moon, but I know different.

He glares at Sweezus.

Sweezus takes a wad of notes out of his pocket and hands them to Surfing-With-Whales.

This is for the stand up paddle, says Sweezus. Three hundred ought to be enough. Sorry it took so long to pay you back.

 Thanks, bro! says Surfing-With-Whales. You're a deadset legend!

He hands the money over to his mum.

Thanks dear, says Mrs Swales. I really did need that money. I didn't like to tell you but business has been slow lately, and I could do without a stand up paddle on my credit card.

Ray Moon was about to begin an ethical debate about the provenance of the money when a shocking thing occurred. His daughter Bunny came out of Surfing-With-Whales' bedroom with her hair all tousled and  a slept-in tee-shirt on.

No comments: