Friday, April 11, 2014

The Influence Of Human Intentions

I know what's happened, says Unni. They've attached themselves to your leg through the material.

I should not have thought it possible, says Schopenhauer. This is good German material. I chose these trousers for their durability.

Never underestimate a barnacle, says Unni. My dad used to have a boat. To get them off you need a scraper, hydrochloric acid and lime remover.

A high pitched sound is heard in the region of the pocket.

I believe I felt a subtle loosening, says Schopenhauer.

Then you should hurry back inside, says Arthur.

Wait, says Schopenhauer. I came out to here to throw them overboard.

Another high pitched sound is heard, followed by a subtle tightening.

It may be meaningful. Schopenhauer formulates a hypothesis, and tests it.

On the other hand, he says loudly, I have no wish to terrorise the barnacles.

He takes a tentative step backwards in the direction of  the illuminated sitting room.

Yes, there is no longer any suction. He congratulates himself on what he's learned.

Gaius is reclining on his Ocean Recliner, when Schopenhauer looms up beside him.

Lend me your notebook, my good chap, says Schopenhauer. I have a theory that may turn natural history on its head.

I never lend anyone my notebook, says Gaius. But in your case I'll make an exception. Let me first adjust my seat to the sitting position.

He fiddles with the mechanism. Nothing happens.

How irritating, says Gaius. I shall go and see the Captain. I believe he was about to warn us of the seating, when he was called away.

He gets up, and heads off in the direction of the Captain's bridge.

Schopenhauer sits down on his Ocean Recliner with the notebook. He begins to write:

Title: The Influence Of Human Intentions On The Tenacity Of The Barnacle.

He fails to notice that the barnacles are emerging from his pocket one by one.

They ease themselves over the corner of the notebook and onto the paper.

The first one can't read, nor can the second, but the third has had a rudimentary education.

She reads the title, and is mightily offended.


No comments: