Monday, April 28, 2014

A Philosopher's Imagination

Right, says Unni, now we're all together, let's get going.

What about breakfast? says Schopenhauer, looking back towards the Wholefoods and Coffee Shop.

Breakfast is in Exeter, says Unni. It's only forty kilometres away. They're meant to have an excellent bakery.

Schopenhauer looks at Arthur. Surely he must be hungry?

But Arthur is already on his bicycle, for the ride to Exeter.

And Gaius? He seems to be preoccupied with something.

Schopenhauer climbs onto the Platonic Ideal and wobbles after Unni.

Salt water slops out of the jug into his basket.

Careful! says Captain Louttit, awoken rudely from his peaceful slumbers.

Yes careful! shouts the educated barnacle. I'm in the family way.

What! cries Captain Louttit. Quiet, below!

Calm down, says Schopenhauer, now riding sedately. Remember, pleasure is the absence of suffering.

What nonsense, says Captain Louttit. I am neither suffering, nor happy.

I meant my pleasure and my suffering, says Schopenhauer.

Are you suffering, old chap? asks Gaius. I couldn't help overhearing.....

Not at all, says Schopenhauer. I am determined to enjoy myself. Determined!

Have we had our breakfast? asks Gaius. I don't remember having anything.

You don't remember? says Schopenhauer. I knew you were preoccupied with something.

I am, says Gaius. I must get in touch with Lisa-Ann Gershwin. The jellyfish woman. Let her know I'm coming.

Tch-tch! says Schopenhauer. She doesn't know you're coming. What if she isn't there?

She must be there, says Gaius. She's my only contact.

Call her up, says Schopenhauer.

What a good idea, says Gaius. Arthur!

Arthur slows down. So does Unni.

Arthur, call Lisa-Ann Gershwin, says Gaius. Let her know we'll be in Hobart in ......how long, Unni?

Ooh.... says Unni. About a week I reckon.

A week! cries Gaius. How long is Tasmania?

We're going the scenic route, says Unni.

We aren't, says Gaius, looking at the road.

We'll talk about it when we get to Exeter, says Unni, speeding up.

..........

Exeter. The Exeter Bakery. Said to be excellent.

Here they stop for breakfast, and eat famous Curried Scallop Pies, followed by Matchsticks.

And look at maps.

See, says Unni. We go down to Launceston, then we branch off west to visit Cradle Mountain.

Cradle Mountain! croons the educated barnacle, through the thick glass at the bottom of the jug of saline solution. The perfect place for me to raise a family.....

Did you hear that? says Schopenhauer.

What? says Gaius.

The barnacle wants to go to Cradle Mountain, says Schopenhauer. And raise a family.

You have a philosopher's imagination, says Gaius.


No comments: