Tuesday, June 26, 2018

It Can Be Dangerous

Three bikes for two people? says Pedro. Why is that?

There were three people, says Saint Roley. Alexander von Humboldt was with them.

Humboldt? says Pedro. I know him. He can't ride a bike.

He can now, says Saint Roley. He's been invited to join Team Philosophe as a Tour de France rider.

Half his luck, says Pedro Vicente Maldonado. Hear that, children?

No, says Mariposa. I think we should rescue Piffy and Pi-face.

I'll go, says Pescado.

He clambers out of the window.

The frogs are sitting on a warm rock, eating waxworms.

He waits for them to finish, before bringing them inside.

No bikes. Does this mean we can't go to school? asks Mariposa.

We'll see about that, says her father.

When are they coming BACK? asks Terence. I want to show them my hat.

It's an excellent hat, says Saint Roley.

I got it in Hawaii, says Terence. It's got side flaps.

With plaits, says Saint Roley. You look like a beautiful woman.

Yerk! says Terence pulling the hat off.

Don't you want it? asks Mariposa. I'll have it.

NO! says Terence. Just get me some scissors.

Pescado comes in bearing Piffy and Pi-face and Flap.

Wow! says Mariposa. Look at his back flap!

Flap feels embarrassed. He has already undergone too much scrutiny.

Let us avert our gaze from Flap's discomfort.

And focus on Guayaquil where Sweezus, Arthur and Humboldt are just arriving.

(even if it means we won't know whether Terence gets scissors)

Guayaquil at last! puffs Humboldt.

You did good, says Sweezus. You'll be an asset. The boss'll love you.

The boss? asks Humboldt.

Vello, says Sweezus. He's my boss at Velosophy.

I didn't know that, says Humboldt. What is Velosophy?

An online magazine, combining cycling and philosophy, says Sweezus. I'm one of the creatives.

I hadn't pinned you as a creative, says Humboldt. Arthur seems better fitted.

I'm not better fitted, says Arthur. I'm a poet.

Yeah, a poet, says Sweezus You can't make them creative.

I suppose not, says Humboldt. Ugh! I must dismount soon or split down the middle.

Sweezus looks around. There appears to be a grand river running through Guayaquil. And port things, like boats.

Someone walks by, who looks like a local. Sweezus stops him.

Where's the best nightlife happen? asks Sweezus.

You might like Zona Rosa, says the local. But be warned, at night, it can be dangerous.

No comments: