Thursday, June 7, 2018

The Infinite Who Is My Brother

On Chimborazo, Time waits for an answer.

He won't get one from Sweezus or Arthur. They are stamping, waving their arms, whooping, taking selfies.

Paco is taking a breather.

Dawn softly tints the horizon

Pauline feels sorry for Time. He has gone to all this trouble.

Of course we know our actions have no value in YOUR eyes, says Pauline.

Why fill yourself with vanity? says Time.

It's funny, says Pauline. You, quoting Bolívar's poem.

Bolívar was quoting me, I think you'll find, says Time.

What about this? asks Pauline. "Everything is less than a dot in the presence of the Infinite, who is my brother".

Me again, says Time.

And yet, says Pauline, you've come up here especially.

Not especially, says Time. I had nothing on this morning.

There! says Paco. Behold the dawn! See the orange band, growing at the horizon.

Sweezus turns slowly, making a video.

Arthur is in it. So is Pauline. So is Time.

In the video, Arthur shows Time the Sea Salt.

Time asks what the Sea Salt is for.

Arthur says it can be useful for prognostications.

I should point out to you, says Time, that the Infinite is my brother.

Yes, Arthur, says Pauline. You are well out of order.  If Time wishes to know the future, he has only to ask his brother.

If I can find him, says Time. He's hard to pin down.

Try the Sea Salt, says Paco.

Do not be flippant, says Time. Sea Salt doesn't work. And I'll tell you why. Your climber Alexander von Humboldt has fallen down a glacial chasm.

Paco looks concerned.

And you, says Time, turning to Arthur, do you have any idea of time passing? Do you even know what the date is?

Arthur doesn't.

June? says Sweezus.

June the seventh, says Pauline.

I'm not asking you, says Time. But yes, the seventh. Ring any bells?

Seventh, says Sweezus. Seventh....?

Tour de France, says Time. And you boys are members of Team Condor. I know from the television coverage. And this newspaper.

He waves his copy of the Times.

Shit, have we missed it? asks Sweezus.

No, it's four weeks off, says Time. Commencing July the seventh. And here you are taking selfies atop a volcano.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Thanks heaps for that. I nearly had freaking kittens! Better call Pablo. Bikes, where'd we leave our bikes?

Back in Adelaide, says Arthur. Or... did we take them to Newcastle?

Ask the Sea Salt, says Time.

It doesn't work backwards, says Arthur.

I knew it! says Pauline.

Me too, says Paco. Now, are you all coming? Or must I rescue Humboldt by myself?


No comments: