Sunday, June 10, 2018

Look Up, Time Has Come

Let us go down together, says Gaius to Alexander von Humboldt.

I'll come  with you, says Pauline. There might be no snow but there are plenty of stones to stub your toe on.

They set off.

Overhead flies Saint Roley, who spots them.

He lands.

Going down already? says Saint Roley.

Yes, says Gaius. Time waits for no man.

Funny you should say that, says Pauline. Time was waiting at the top of Chimborazo.

He was indeed, and he knew the date of the Tour de France, says Alexander von Humboldt.

Probably got it from a newspaper, says Gaius.

Neither Pauline nor Humboldt can refute this. He did have a paper.

But, says Pauline, he knew Alexander had fallen into a chasm. That could not have been in the paper.

Perhaps Time had passed by the chasm, says Gaius, and heard him shout for assistance.

I didn't shout for assistance, says Alexander von Humboldt. I sensed my Time had come.

Ha ha! Very good, says Gaius.

Well, says Saint Roley, I'm going to fly up a bit further.

Why is that? asks Gaius.

Princess Pacchu, says Saint Roley. She was racing me, and I haven't seen her.

Be vigilant, says Alexander von Humboldt. Your princess may have fallen down a chasm.

She is a guinea pig, with local knowledge, says Gaius. She's unlikely to fall down a chasm.

I saw a guinea pig a short way back, says Pauline. Going like a rocket.

Saint Roley takes off.

Too cold up there for an oystercatcher, observes Humboldt.

You may be right, says Gaius. Let us hope he finds Princess Pacchu before the snowline.

They continue to walk and hop down Chimborazo, each thinking.

I suppose, says Humboldt, I ought to go into Riobamba and purchase some shoes.

Come back with me to Maldonado's, says Gaius. He'll have some.

We can all catch the bus together, says Pauline. Hey ho. Then for me, back to Idaho.

What do you do there ? asks Humboldt.

I'm a property manager, says Pauline. I pride myself on being a good one.

What constitutes a good one? asks Alexander von Humboldt.

Attention to detail, says Pauline. You know those extractor fans people have in their bathrooms?

No, says Alexander. I don't often leave Chimborazo.

People forget to clean them, says Pauline. Look up. That's what I say. Look up. Eventually they see it.

Look up, says Gaius. That is good advice for anyone wishing to increase their powers of observation.

It is, says Alexander von Humboldt.

Soon they are at the bottom.

They head for the bus stop.

The three tree frogs are keeping their eyes peeled for Gaius.

There he is, with two more humans, talking. Will he look down?

No comments: