Saturday, June 9, 2018

Second Most Famous Man In The World

By the time Sweezus and Arthur reach the first refuge on Chimborazo, they have worked out a plan.

1. Fly from Quito to Nantes, missing out Adelaide altogether.

2. In Nantes, acquire new bikes.

3. Cycle to Ile de Noirmoutier.

Sorted.

Tilly, Lydia and Buzz arrive from the bottom.

Tilly and Lydia take possession of the waterproof trousers, ice picks and crampons.

What about Buzz?

I'll wait for Gaius, says Buzz. He's on his way up. Then I'll have his.

Gaius's red waterproof trousers appear, along with the rest of him.

Arthur! says Gaius. Simon is going to Imbabura, where I shall join him.

Date, says Arthur.

It's not a DATE, says Gaius. Ha ha. What a suggestion!

What's the date? says Arthur. What's four weeks away?

Is this a trick question? asks Gaius. The same day next month, minus two, is four weeks away. Am I missing something?

Arthur is about to tell Gaius that the Tour de France is just four weeks away when Paco appears, followed by Pauline and Alexander von Humboldt, who is hopping.

Jupiter's Jellies! says Gaius. Can it be?

Gaius Plinius Secundus! cries Alexander von Humboldt.

Yes, says Gaius. I should have anticipated finding you on Chimborazo. But I didn't. And here you are hopping. I trust merely because you are missing a shoe.

Yes, that is why, says Alexander von Humboldt. And this lady has been kindness personified. I dared not put a foot down for fear of getting frostbite.

There is no snow hereabouts, says Gaius.

There isn't! says Humboldt. And this is the first time I've noticed. Pauline has been listening to me explain why I am no longer famous.

Hey! Can I borrow your trousers? asks Buzz.

Of course, says Gaius, taking off his red waterproof trousers, revealing his chinos.

Buzz pulls them on over his shorts and hurries up the trail after Lydia and Tilly.

Have they got a guide booked? asks Paco.

I don't think so, says Gaius.

Paco turns and heads back up the mountain.

No longer famous? says Gaius. But you are the inventor of isotherms and discoverer of  the magnetic equator.

He was also the first to see the earth as one living organism, says Pauline.

The first? Was he? asks Gaius. That I did not know. Surely....

There you go, says Humboldt. That's the nub of it. My way of seeing the world is now so ubiquitous that no one remembers who first came up with it.

In his prime, says Pauline, he was the second most famous man in the world.

After whom? asks Gaius.

Let us leave this subject, says Alexander von Humboldt. Gaius is more than my equal.

Is he? asks Pauline, looking  properly at Gaius. I thought you said it was Napoleon.

Gaius laughs. So does Humboldt.

Ladies!

So what was this about the date? asks Gaius, turning to Arthur.

Tour de France, says Arthur. Seventh of July. Ile de Noirmoutier.

Arthur, says Gaius. I congratulate you. This is the first time I've had adequate warning.

No comments: