Saturday, June 2, 2018

Poking At Fire

Arthur has gone back to the refuge.

Alexander von Humboldt has hovered outside.

Piqued by the idea of Pauline, who is in there.

Pauline comes out to find him.

Come in, says Pauline. Arthur told me your name. You are mentioned in Bólivar's poem. You must have some stories.

I do have some stories, says Humboldt. No one cares for them now. It's all Bólivar, Bólivar.

We have a fire, says Pauline. And I have some dried out sandwiches. Sardine or cheese and pickle.

He is tempted. He likes cheese and pickle.

Soon he eating cheese and pickle, in front of Paco's small fire.

Paco doesn't mind. As long as he pays him.

Look at all of you, says Humboldt. With your thick boots and waterproof trousers.

Sweezus looks at Humboldt's shoes, which are thin.

We borrowed them, says Sweezus. If that makes you feel better.

Not at all, says Humboldt. It's how we dressed at the time.

Yeah but like, what time was that? asks Sweezus.

Eighteen hundred and two, says Paco. He climbed Chimborazo to one thousand metres from the summit. A record.

Cool, says Sweezus. How come you didn't get there?

My companions and I were faced with a chasm, says Humboldt. Also the air was quite thin. I made copious notes however.

You remembered a pencil, says Arthur. Good for you.

I don't recall the pencil, says Humboldt. Strange, because I have an excellent memory. I can remember the shape of a leaf I saw thirty years ago. Or the exact shade of blue in the sky.

How wonderful, says Pauline. To have such a memory for the blue of the sky.

I should be modest and explain that I had a cyanometer, says Humboldt.

Do you still have it? asks Pauline. Would you like another sandwich?

No, they are an old technology, no longer fresh, like your otherwise excellent sandwiches, says Humboldt.

Pauline appreciates this sort of compliment. With its sting.

The fire is dying. Rest before the climb, says Paco.

I should be going, says Humboldt.

You can come with us if you pay, says Paco. I have extra ropes stored here. Do you have money?

Having abandoned my life of privilege says Humboldt, I am a relatively poor man.

Too bad, says Paco.

But an hour with me is like having lived several years, says Humboldt.

That's true, says Paco. So are you coming?

Come! says Pauline. I'll put up the money.

Thank you, dear lady, says Humboldt.

Paco pokes at the fire.

This sort of thing often happens.

No comments: