Wednesday, June 20, 2018

You're A Brick

What's the turmoil in your pocket? asks Gaius.

Arthur slaps his pocket.

Flap jumps out, his mouth full of waxworm.

You had the weird frog in your pocket, says Sweezus. Give me those waxworms.

You wouldn't want them, says Arthur. We could leave them here.

Confusion! says Flap. Was I not meant to eat these tasty waxworms?

No, says Arthur. They're a crucial factor in our business plan.

Flap swallows one eleventh of the business plan.

(Fortunately, it was not the head waxworm).

You're here as a colour chart, says Sweezus. You're our new team colours.

You don't need the actual me then, says Flap. Take a photo.

He surveys the frog room.

Wraaark! says Flap. This place seems familiar.

It should be, says Gaius. You were taken from here as a tadpole.

Was I? asks Flap. What about my siblings?

They too, were taken, says Gaius. You'll find your parents outside, in the garden.

Flap leaps into the garden, to effect a reunion.

Saint Roley wipes an eye.

I love a happy ending, says Saint Roley.

You are being species specific, says the head waxworm. There was no happy ending. I've lost a team member. He will never be a wax moth.

The other nine waxworms begin weeping.

It is uncertain why.

I apologise, says Saint Roley. Your brother's misfortune outweighs the family reunion. I'm in a bad place at the moment.

We all are, says Sweezus. We need to get going. Coming Humboldt?

You're leaving the waxworms? says Gaius. I can't be responsible. Also you need to take a photograph of young Flap. Which reminds me, Pauline wants you to send her that video.....

Sheesh! says Sweezus. Okay, I'll take the waxworms. AND take a photo. AND... what was the other thing?

Video, says Gaius. And what if Terence turns up while you're off gallivanting?

I'll stay, says Saint Roley. I'll mind the waxworms. I'll protect them from Flap and his parents. And nor will I eat them. And when Terence returns from Hawaii I will listen to all his guess-whats until you humans return from your missions.

You're a brick, says Gaius.

Saint Roley, mishearing, feels he has been undervalued.

No comments: