Sunday, February 16, 2020

Imagine Yourself Other

Kierkegaard has misjudged the Alexanders.

They do not detest boredom.

Groovy, Red Hook and Yellowsun all wish to be the control crab.

So more questions are needed.

How would you pass the time, as control crab? asks Kierkegaard.

Good question! says Gaius. Give us your answers. Who's going first?

Me, says Alexander-Groovy. I would imagine I was one of my cohorts. In that way, I would be both inside and outside the experiment at the same time.

Ingenious, says Gaius.

Not so ingenious, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Let me ask you a question.

Not allowed! says Alexander-Groovy.

Let's hear it, says Gaius.

How would you imagine yourself to be me? asks Alexander-Red-Hook. Or better still, her?

That's two questions, says Alexander-Groovy.

Nevertheless, says Gaius, I'd like to hear the answer.

So would I, says Kierkegaard. How does one imagine oneself 'other'?

Like this, says Terence. This is me being a parrot.

He pretends to be a drone robot parrot.

I protest, says Alexander-Groovy. Whether I can do it or not is irrelevant. At least I'll be occupied.

Ask me a question, says Alexander-Yellowsun.

Same question, says Kierkegaard.

I would think about my little dropped eggs wrapped in paper, says Alexander-Yellowsun. And imagine each of them had its own eyes. Then I would imagine them learning how to read the poem on the paper, one word at a time.

That is the loveliest thing I've ever heard, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Yes, how did it go again? asks Alexander-Yellowsun.

Till the rocks melt wi' the sun and while the sands o' life shall run, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

I will love thee still my dear, sighs Alexander-Yellowsun.

Everyone is silent.

Terence stops being a parrot, and remembers Jinjing. How he loves him. Where is he?

Kierkegaard recalls that Belle, who reminds him of his former fianceƩ, invited him to go up the coast, or join her there later, if that was more convenient....

Gaius thinks that Alexander-Red-Hook demonstrates admirable qualities: Aggression, sensitivity, compassion, intelligence, a reasonable if imperfect memory, and no eggs to cause complications.

She would make an admirable control crab.

What a pity he promised Terence the final judgement.

But surely he can influence Terence.


No comments: