Sunday, May 22, 2022

A True Gift To Science

Katherine arrives shortly after.

With Terence, Roo-kai and a large plastic shopping bag, she climbs up the stairs.

Professor Murray has been waiting.

You must be Katherine, says Professor Murray. Welcome to the University of Southern Queensland.

Thank you, says Katherine. 

And who are these? asks Professor Murray.

This is Terence, says Katherine. He....

I used to live on a palace, says Terence. 

That explains your outward appearance, says Professor Murray.

And this is my parrot, Roo-kai, says Terence.

Professor Murray can see that Roo-kai is not an actual parrot. But he does not say so. 

Welcome, says Professor Murray. I hope, Katherine, that you won't find it too cramped in one room with your colleagues, this infant and bird. Not to mention the frogs. I understand they are with you?

Yes! says Terence. They're in this bag of Romeo's.

Katherine opens the bag.

Quiet-Tartus and Shorty-Tartus are revealed, perched on a pumpkin, with their emu feathers attached to their rubber waistbands.

Professor Murray is mildly surprised. But not as surprised as he would have been had the frogs grown real feathers.

We are not Romeos, says Quiet-Tartus. This bag was our upside down nest until recently, when it was required for a pumpkin.

Now Professor Murray is truly surprised.

They speak English! says Professor Murray. This alone warrants a scientific paper.

I'm sure it does, says Katherine. 

I'll just buzz Letitia, says Professor Murray.

He does so.

Letitia appears at the door.

Letitia, this is Katherine... err

Hume, says Katherine. 

Pleased to meet you, says Letitia. Hey, you've got the same name as David Hume's mother.

I am David Hume's mother, says Katherine.

Wow! says Letitia. 

I did not know that, says Professor Murray. I have long admired David Hume.

Whereas I must admit I have not, says Katherine. He is too into bicycles, these days.

Nevertheless, says Professor Murray. His ideas on empiricism were a true gift to science.

Is there a kitchen? asks Katherine.

Yes, says Letitia. Do you want to drop off that pumpkin?

I do, says Katherine. If I may avail myself, I'd like to try out a dish for which I have the recipe, Baked Emu and Crushed Pumpkin.

Sounds delicious, says Professor Murray. 

If it turns out, I'll invite you to try it, says Katherine.

Not me, says Letitia. I wouldn't eat emu.

Me either, says Terence. Especially Snowy. 

It's not Snowy, says Katherine. Snowy was alive when we left him.

No, it can't be Snowy, says Shorty-Tartus. 

Okay, says Terence. But it might be...

NO! says Katherine. Not Lunar Moon either!

Roo-kai looks at the pumpkin. 

The pumpkin exhibits an air of dejection.

All this fuss about eating an emu.

But what about him?


No comments: