Monday, May 2, 2022

A Very Good Guy

What? says Terence.

Nothing, says Sweezus. Go on.

A very good guy, that was you, says Terence.

I get that, says Sweezus. 

So you should be pleased, says Terence.

I am, says Sweezus. Is that the end of the poem?

No, says Terence. There's more of it:

He didn't make it, he drowned in the sea/ no one could find him and so/ two brave frogs decided to get on a surfboard and go.

Terence gestures towards the brave frogs, at the edge of the hole, looking down at Unhappy. 

Quiet-Tartus and Shorty-Tartus speak together:

We fell off/ we thought we would die/ Unhappy floated by/ dead, with no fuss, he saved us/ another good guy.

Sweezus winces.

The frogs stand back, their part is finished.

Gaius fills in the hole. It is done.

Right, says Gaius. Are we all agreed it's time to leave Angourie Point and continue north towards Queensland?

Yes, they all are.

I'll drive the Mazda, says Wittgenstein. Who's coming with me?

I will, says Gaius. We'll push through to the Gold Coast.

Okay, says Arthur. We'll meet you there.

Gaius gives Sweezus the spade.

Sweezus and Arthur head back to the camper.

Wait for me! says Terence.

And us, say the brave frogs together.

But Sweezus and Arthur walk faster.

They are talking and walking.

Fuck, says Sweezus. A very good guy. And I'm the one who killed him. 

Twice, says Arthur. 

He didn't die the first time, says Sweezus.

There's a thought to hang onto, says Arthur.

And I guess it's not my fault he couldn't swim, says Sweezus.

That's another one, says Arthur.

And we can't have a dog with this lifestyle, says Sweezus.

And now we don't have one, says Arthur.

Sweezus feels better, after talking things over with Arthur.


No comments: