Sunday, May 15, 2022

Do You Miss The Old Life?

Katherine turns in at the Beenleigh Rum Distillery.

I won't be too long, says Katherine.

She seems too long to Terence.

Let's get out of the car and look around, says Terence.

How can we? ask the Tarti.

Not you guys, says Terence. Me and Roo-kai.

Terence climbs through to the front and opens the door of the vehicle.

He and Roo-kai get out.

That was easy, says Terence.

They walk around the red buildings. 

Mind how you go, lads, says a raspy voice, next to a barrel.

Did that barrel talk? asks Terence.

No, the voice came from behind it, says Roo-kai.

Because I am behind it, says the raspy voice.

It sounds like Ageless, says Terence.

A wizened lobster in a captain's hat emerges from the back of the barrel.

Blow me! Do you lads know Ageless?

I do, says Terence.

How is the old scoundrel? asks the lobster.

Old, says Terence.

I thought so, says the wizened old lobster. When you see him, tell him Captain Stewart of the SS Walrus asked after him.

And that's you? asks Roo-kai.

Aye, aye, says Captain Stewart.

What are you doing this far inland? asks Roo-kai.

I might ask you the same, says Captain Stewart.

I'm an honorary parrot, says Roo-kai. I am travelling with the infant Terence, and two frogs, who are planning a contest with their cousins in Toowoomba, if we can find them.

Romeos, says Terence.

Captain Stewart does not bat an eyelid.

And not just because he hasn't got one.

He is used to tall stories.

As for me, says Captain Stewart, I like to keep an eye on my still. I sold it many years ago to the Beenleigh Distillery.

What is a still? asks Roo-kai. 

It makes rum out of sugar cane, says Captain Stewart. In those days it was illegal. I sailed up and down the coast in the Walrus, stopping at different plantations.

Do you miss the old life? asks Roo-kai.

O my heart, yes indeed, says Captain Stewart.

Katherine comes out of a red building at that moment, with a gift-wrapped bottle.

Terence! cries Katherine. Get back in the car. You shouldn't have got out in the first place!

O my heart, says Terence. I miss my old life!

He doesn't mean that, says Roo-kai.

Captain Stewart withdraws behind the barrel, before Katherine can see him.


No comments: