Sunday, May 8, 2022

Very Arty Art

 Katherine drives back to Currumbin, and heads to Elephant Rock.

Gaius and Wittgenstein are already there, gazing up at it.

Hello, says Katherine. Pity about the weather. Where are the others?

On their way, says Gaius. 

Shall we go into the Surf Life Saving Club, and wait? says Katherine.

All right, says Gaius.

They do a good seafood platter, says Katherine.

I remember, says Gaius. 

You've been here before? asks Katherine.

Yes, says Gaius, four years ago, we passed through. It was summer.

What were you doing? asks Katherine.

Something to do with whelks, says Gaius. And Eastern Curlews.

This time it's frogs, says Wittgenstein.

Always something, says Katherine. But whelks?

Past history, says Gaius. I recall that Saint Roley, who was with us, ate them, and immediately regretted his action.  I advised a strong purge.

I wish I hadn't asked, says Katherine. 

No seafood platter? says Wittgenstein.

No, says Katherine. Perhaps a nice salad. Oh look! There's Arthur!

Arthur has come into the surf Life Saving Club.

Hello dear! cries Katherine. Let me look at you! 

Arthur lets her look at him.

Perhaps she will buy him new shorts.

Sweezus enters with Terence.

Where's Monty? asks Terence. 

In the glove box of the Mazda, says Wittgenstein. I'll go and get him.

Is Monty a frog? asks Katherine.

NO! says Terence. Monty is my toy horse. I got him when I went missing, But I'm getting a real one.

Is he? asks Katherine.

Gaius tries to indicate no, without Terence seeing.

Has Terence been to the Wildlife Sanctuary here in Currumbin? asks Katherine.

Yeah, says Sweezus. He went last time. He did the Tree Top Challenge.

Yes! says Terence. 

How on earth was he allowed to? asks Katherine.

I went with Boris, says Terence. 

When I went there yesterday, says Katherine, I did the Art Trail. Lots of gigantic plastic koalas.

Very arty, says Gaius.

And a Lego Water Dragon, says Katherine.

Even more so, says Gaius.

Wittgenstein comes back with Monty.

Monty! cries Terence, grabbing Monty.

Let me see Monty, says Katherine. 

Want me to order a couple of seafood platters? asks Sweezus. And beer for everyone?

He goes off without waiting for Katherine to say she would rather just have a nice salad.

Any anyway, she is busy admiring Monty, who is of good quality, being German.

And then, looking critically at the rips and stains in Arthur's shorts.....


No comments: