Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Come And Get Me I'm Clean

Wittgenstein and Gaius get into the Mazda.

Ever been to the Gold Coast? asks Gaius.

No, says Wittgenstein. Never.

You'll find it rather....umm.... jazzy, says Gaius.

Meaning? asks Wittgenstein.

Jazzy, says Gaius. I used the term deliberately.

For what reason? asks Wittgenstein.

I know you're somewhat old-fashioned, says Gaius.

That's rich coming from you, says Wittgenstein. But... jazzy?

Loud, says Gaius. Flashy.

It doesn't sound like your sort of place, says Wittgenstein.

It isn't, says Gaius. We'll be heading inland to Toowoomba.

For the frogs? says Wittgenstein.

Exactly, says Gaius. But first, would you mind stopping at the Bean Scene in Yamba.

What for? asks Wittgenstein.

Terence's Monty, says Gaius. He left it behind in the dishwasher.

That reminds me, says Wittgenstein. I haven't given him his treat yet.

They drive on, and stop ten minutes later outside the Bean Scene in Yamba.

Gaius gets out.

Aha! Monty is on an outdoor table, under an umbrella, next to the sugar.

There is a note, under Monty.

To the owner: Please come and get me. I'm clean.

Ha ha, laughs Gaius, picking up Monty, and waving him at a barista.

The barista comes over.

You the kid's parent? Where's the kid?

In a separate vehicle, says Gaius. I have a feeling he might have forgotten about his toy horse, so I've stopped by to collect it.

Got any ID ? asks the barista.

I am Gaius Plinius Secundus, natural historian, says Gaius.

Anyone could say that, says the barista.

I doubt it, says Gaius. But I do know this toy horse has been rescued from the bottom of your dishwasher, having fallen out of a coffee mug which was whisked away by a staff member who obviously did not observe it, which was careless.

Okay, says the barista. That was me. Sorry about that. Take it, and enjoy the rest of your day.

Thank you, says Gaius, taking Monty back to the Mazda.

He gets in.

Got it? asks Wittgenstein.

Not without having to explain its entire history, says Gaius.

Due diligence, says Wittgenstein. That's good. I don't suppose you thought to buy us a coffee?

No, says Gaius. Would you like one?

I would, says Wittgenstein. 

They get out of the Mazda, and go into the Bean Scene, leaving Monty on the passenger seat.

Monty is sad. It was nice on the table.


No comments: