Friday, May 6, 2022

The Rejection

To Monty's chagrin, he is replaced in the glove box.

Don't let me forget him, says Gaius.

It's unlikely that you will forget him, says Wittgenstein.

Not so, says Gaius. To be honest, I had already forgotten him.

He is forgettable, I agree, says Wittgenstein. 

Then why did you say it? asks Gaius.

Because, says Wittgenstein, I imagine we'll be wanting the glove box, for the frogs.

That is assuming we take the Mazda to Toowoomba, says Gaius.

I hired this Mazda, says Wittgenstein. I shall drive it to Toowoomba.

The problem is Terence, says Gaius. He will want to come with us to Toowoomba.

Why should he? says Wittgenstein. He appears to love Sweezus, He called him a very good guy.

That was just poetry, says Gaius. He loves the frogs too, but there is no room for Terence in the Mazda.

He could ride in the boot, says Wittgenstein.

I could not allow that, says Gaius. 

They drive in silence, for a while trying to think of a solution.

We could all go to Toowoomba, says Wittgenstein. 

Of course we could, says Gaius, but I'm factoring in the pull of the Gold Coast, for the young ones.

His phone rings.

Aha! This will be Arthur!

But no.

It is David.

Hello Gaius! Enjoying your east coast adventure? asks David.

Very much so, says Gaius. Apart from the rain, and floods and other hold ups.

Such is life, says David. The weather has been fine here until recently, but now we have entered a cold spell.

You should join us, says Gaius. It's warmer.

That's not why I'm calling, says David. We're busy in the office, and we've already started training.

Training? says Gaius. What for?

The tour, says David. It begins on the first of July.

And you want me in Team Philosophe? asks Gaius. I could...

No, says David. We don't. The reason I'm calling is to warn you about mother.

Katherine? says Gaius. Is she unwell?

No just the opposite, says David. She's planning a holiday at the Gold Coast. You're not near there are you?

No no, says Gaius. Nowhere near there.

Fine, says David. Just a heads up. She'll be calling you soon.

Excellent, says Gaius. I look forward to it.

What was that about? asks Wittgenstein.

A rejection, says Gaius. But when one door closes.....

He does not finish the sentence, not deeming it necessary.

But Monty, in the dark of the glove box, would like to have heard it.


No comments: