Friday, May 20, 2022

The Theoretical Pumpkin

Katherine's phone rings.

She pulls over.

Gaius? 

Yes, it's me, says Gaius. Are you in Toowoomba?

Not yet, says Katherine. I made a few stops on the way.

Never mind, says Gaius. Good news. We've been offered a room in a residential college.

A room? says Katherine. One room?

Yes, says Gaius. That's all the university would run to. It's a share room.

Wonderful, says Katherine. It will be just like camping. What do you say to a pumpkin?

Is this a riddle? asks Gaius. I'll ask Ludwig. Ludwig, what do you say to a pumpkin?

I have no idea, says Ludwig's voice, in the back ground.

Tell him not to waste too much time puzzling, says Katherine.

Why, what is the answer? asks Gaius. 

I have bought a pumpkin, says Katherine.

Is that supposed to be funny? asks Gaius. Does it continue?

No, you misunderstand me, says Katherine. Do you like pumpkin soup?

A cruel thing to ask a pumpkin, says Gaius.

If you think that, says Katherine, I shall not ask the next question.

You may, says Gaius. I'm sure the theoretical pumpkin will not be offended.

Would you object to Baked Emu? says Katherine.

You stopped at Emu Heaven! says Gaius. We wagered you would.

I did, says Katherine. Terence and Roo-kai enjoyed meeting the emus. 

Very nice, says Gaius. 

And the frogs collected some fighting feathers, says Katherine.

I see you are changing the subject, says Gaius. Yes, the frogs are the reason for us being offered the room. Professor Murray was most interested to meet them. 

I'll be in Toowomba soon, says Katherine. Where are you exactly?

University of Southern Queensland, West Street, Darling Heights, says Gaius. How soon?

Fifteen minutes, says Katherine. See you there.

Indeed, says Gaius. But wait! What was that about fighting feathers?

Too late. Katherine has ended the call, and started the engine.

We have a room in a university college, says Katherine. 

Yay! says Terence. Is it a frog-learning college?

A good question, that shows your intelligence, says Katherine. Yes, I suppose so.

Meanwhile, in the Mazda, Ludwig is still puzzling over what he might say to a pumpkin.


No comments: