Saturday, May 21, 2022

I Was Set A Mad Puzzle

Gaius and Wittgenstein are to meet with Professor Murray.

They go up some stairs. 

Mr Secundus? says Professor Murray, coming out of his office.

Call me Gaius, says Gaius. Everyone does.

And you must be Ludwig Wittgenstein, says Professor Murray.

Boo! says Wittgenstein.

Professor Murray is startled, but tries not to show it.

He's a philosopher, says Gaius. He sometimes comes up with strange utterances.

Wittgenstein realises he needs to be in the present. 

Yes, says Wittgenstein. Apologies. I was set a mad puzzle.

Of an existential nature? enquires Professor Murray.

Hardly, says Wittgenstein, What would you say to a pumpkin?

I do like a good pumpkin, says Professor Murray. In fact I grow them myself. There is an art to it, especially these days, when there are not enough bees.

Perhaps we took Katherine too literally, says Gaius. 

Ha ha, laughs Professor Murray. Now I understand why Mr Wittgenstein said Boo!

I don't, says Gaius.

Halloween! says Professor Murray. Am I correct in my supposition?

You are correct, says Wittgenstein. But, on second thoughts, I don't think it's the answer.

Of course it isn't the answer! says Gaius. We misunderstood the question.

Am I to understand that this Katherine you speak of is bringing a pumpkin? asks Professor Murray.

I believe she is, says Gaius. She is also bringing the two Screaming Tree frogs I spoke of. Interestingly, she claims they've acquired feathers.

I should like to see that, says Professor Murray. Aha! here is Letitia. She is one of the PhD students, involved in the tree pipe trap project.

Hello, says Letitia. 

Please show these gentlemen to their room, says Professor Murray. I understand their colleague, Katherine, will be arriving shortly with two frogs and a pumpkin. When she arrives, I'll give you a buzz. 

Great, says Letitia. Follow me, guys.

Gaius and Ludwig follow Letitia.

Why a pumpkin? asks Letitia. 

We know not, says Gaius.

What would you say to pumpkin? asks Wittgenstein.

Seems he can't let this go.

I would ask it a riddle, says Letitia. What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?

Wittgenstein has always liked geometry. He comes up with the answer.

Pumpkin Pi.


No comments: