Sunday, June 18, 2023

Impartial Or Miffed

The bus arrives in Melbourne.

Gaius, Pierre-Louis and Terence get off. 

How far is it to the University? asks Pierre-Louis.

Not far, says Gaius. But we don't all need to go.

I'll take Terence to a park, says Pierre-Louis.

And Squatty, says Terence.

Squattu's in my back pack, says Gaius.

I thought she was in mine, says Pierre-Louis.You've got the blanket.

Have I? asks Gaius. 

He checks.

Yes, he has the blanket.

Pierre-Louis looks in his back pack.

Yes, there is Squattu, fast asleep.

Let's go! says Terence.

They part.

Gaius walks to the University. 

It occurs to him that Marx may no longer be there.

Why not call him?

Ring ring.

Marx here, says Marx. 

It's Gaius, says Gaius. Are you by any chance still in Melbourne? I'm returning your blanket.

It was a communal blanket, says Marx. And no. I'm in Adelaide, preparing to fly to Bilbao.

What a coincidence, says Gaius. This year the Tour de France starts from Bilbao.

That's why I'm going, says Marx.

You're not in it? asks Gaius. 

No, I'm not in it, says Marx, I'm commentating. They wanted someone impartial.

Excellent, says Gaius. Well, I'll just drop off this blanket.

Is it clean? asks Marx.

Clean enough, says Gaius. It was washed yesterday evening, and only draped over me lightly last night.

In a forest? asks Marx. Have you picked the dead leaves off?

In a house, says Gaius. The house of the mother of Team Condor's new rider, Ranger Roger.

I didn't know they needed a new rider, says Marx.

They did, says Gaius. I even thought of recommending you. Sweezus seemed interested. But then they chose Ranger Roger. 

Me? says Marx. I suppose this Ranger Roger chap is younger.

And a reasonable poet, says Gaius.

Ha ha! laughs Marx. That rules me out.

I couldn't see why it mattered, says Gaius, But he is replacing Pablo. And I know they like to have poetry competitions, during the long flat stretches.

Do they indeed? says Marx. Duly noted.

Well, see you in Bilbao, says Gaius. 

Yes, comrade, says Marx.

Gaius continues towards Melbourne University. So Marx is to be a commentator. Perhaps it was unwise to have mentioned certain things. Such as how Ranger Roger got chosen. Marx may be miffed. But surely not. He is a reasonable person. Look how he asked that question about the dead leaves......


No comments: