Tuesday, June 13, 2023

A Mouthful Of Petals

Would your bat like some fruit? asks Janet.

Why not ask her, says Gaius, taking a biscuit.

I would like a banana, says Squattu. Or a flower.

How sweet, says Janet. And she talks, too. That's unusual.

Have you got a banana? asks Squattu.

No, says Janet. But I have flowers in the garden. Would you like to go out?

Yes please, says Squattu.

Janet lets her out.

Thanks for giving us a bed for the night, says Pierre-Louis, 

You should thank Roger, says Janet. 

Would you mind if I recharge my phone? asks Gaius.

Go ahead, says Janet. I'll pop out and make sure your bat finds the right flowers.

Can I come with you? asks Terence.

Of course, dear, says Janet. 

She grabs a torch. She and Terence go out.

Can I carry the torch? asks Terence. 

Okay, says Janet. Go left, to the roses.

Terence goes right.

The other way, says Janet.

I know, says Terence. But I thought I saw Squatty.

I hope not, says Janet. That would mean she's in my veggie patch.

Squattu stops nibbling a bean shoot, and heads for the roses, of which there are few.

Ah! says Janet. There she is. Sorry there aren't very many. It's the end of the season.

Faffs ofay, says Squattu, her mouth full of petals.

Ha ha, laughs Terence. Faffs ofay!

Shall we go back inside? asks Janet. It's freezing out here. 

Not for me, says Terence.

You're funny little fellow, says Janet. 

I used to live on a palace, says Terence.

With your grandpa? asks Janet. 

No, says Terence. If he was there I wouldn't have had so much trouble.

Why is that? asks Janet.

Because grandpa knows everything, says Terence.

He must be a clever man, says Janet. But how does his knowing everything keep you out of trouble?

He'd know if Saint Joseph was going to hit me with a hammer, says Terence. 

Now I know you're making up stories, says Janet. 

And he'd take me to Melbourne, says Terence.

Hmm, says Janet. Where was this palace?

In Barcelona, says Terence.

That's a long way from Melbourne, says Janet.

I know, says Terence.

Finished! says Squattu.

They go back inside.

I think I'll turn in, says Gaius. Thanks for the tea and biscuits, Janet.

There's only one bed in the spare room, says Janet. And it isn't made up.

I'll use Marx's blanket, says Gaius.

He goes outside to get it, and brings it back in.

It's filthy! says Janet. What's that pink stuff?

They've been camping, says Ranger Roger.

It's going straight in the wash, says Janet.

She takes the blanket into the laundry.

So much for an early night, says Gaius. 

And so they end up talking cycling.

By the end of the heavy duty wash cycle, (two hours), and half an hour in the drier, Gaius and Pierre-Louis have learned all there is to know about the cycling credentials of Ranger Roger.


No comments: