Friday, June 16, 2023

Prawn Head

Ranger Roger wakes early, and writes down his poem.

The one he composed in his dream.

He tries to read it as though he was Arthur, seeing it for the first time.

But he doesn't know Arthur, or what Arthur would think of the theme

Is it done? asks Squattu.

I think so, says Ranger Roger. But...

Let me see it, says Squattu.

She reads: I Don't Have A Dog. The dog I don't have.... (etcetera)

That's good, says Squattu. Don't worry so much. Send it!

Okay, says Ranger Roger. 

He sends his poem to the number Sweezus gave him for Arthur.

It's five thirty in the morning, in Adelaide. 

Dark, and cold.

Arthur is sleeping on Sweezus's couch. 

Sweezus stumbles out of his bedroom. 

Wake up bro! 

Wuuh! says Arthur.

You look green, says Sweezus.

So do you, says Arthur.

Too bad, says Sweezus. I'll make us a coffee.

Ding! Arthur's phone.

A message from an unknown number.

About someone's dog.

Weird scam, says Arthur.

Yeah? What? asks Sweezus. 

Trying to sell me a dog, says Arthur.

Just delete it. No! Shit! Wait, says Sweezus. Is it kind of .....a poem?

Arthur reads it properly.

Yes, says Arthur. Kind of like one. It's got possums and eggs. Pathos. And a repetition. 

Let me see, says Sweezus. I know what this is.

What? says Arthur.

That guy who wants to replace Pablo in Team Condor, says Sweezus. 

He thinks he's a poet? says Arthur. 

Yeah well not exactly,  says Sweezus. I told him to write a poem about a dog and send it to you.

You prawn head, says Arthur. 

Yeah well, he seemed too good to be true, says Sweezus. Like he was channeling Cadel Evans. Telling me about his lung capacity and all that stuff. 

So we're rejecting him, says Arthur.

No way, says Sweezus. I just thought, he sounds like a bit of a fuckwit, and we should make him sweat.

Okay, says Arthur. Want me to tell him it needs a re-write? 

No, it's not that bad, says Sweezus. 

If you understand dogs, says Arthur.

Yes, and I do, says Sweezus. I'm still not over Farky.

Coffee, says Arthur. And a ride up Mount Lofty. That's what you need.

You're right bro, says Sweezus.

He heats up the water. 

Arthur replies to Ranger Roger.

Not bad for a newbie. Congrats. You've squeaked in.


No comments: