Saturday, June 3, 2023

That Possumy Smell

Gaius and Pierre-Louis continue to cycle east, towards the Ada Tree.

But the stop has cost minutes.

A ranger is now catching up.

Easter Morning looks out through a gap in the back of the carriage.

A ranger is coming! says Easter Morning.

Everyone get under the blanket! says Terence.

Easter Morning and Banjo wriggle under the blanket, next to Squattu.

Squee! says Squattu. Night time already?

No, whispers Easter Morning. It's not even lunch time. A ranger is coming.

So what? says Squattu.

Because of him, says Easter Morning, pointing at Banjo.

Banjo! Why are you coming? asks Squattu.

Adventure, says Banjo.

He's making a poem for the Ada Tree, says Easter Morning. Terence is helping.

That will be good, says Squattu. Wake me up when we get there.

She goes back to sleep.

The carriage stops moving. 

Good morning, ranger, says Gaius.

Good morning, gentlemen, says the ranger. I've had a report that you've kidnapped a Leadbeater's possum. Mind if I look in your carriage?

Not at all, says Gaius. 

The ranger looks into the carriage.

Hello, says Terence. There's only me in here.

Only you? says the ranger. What's that possumy smell?

It's not a possumy smell, says Terence. It's a bat smell. 

I think I know the difference between a bat smell and a possum smell, says the ranger.

Or it might be the drone, says Terence.

Drones don't smell, says the ranger.

Usually, says Terence. But this one got broken and had to be fixed with sticky pink stuff that Easter Morning ate and then it came out of his bottom.

I can't claim to know what that would smell like, says the ranger.

I'm used to it, says Terence.

But would you mind lifting the blanket? asks the ranger.

Yes, says Terence. I would mind.

Found our little stowaway? asks Gaius.

Not yet, says the ranger. I'm not getting much cooperation.

Terence, says Gaius. Lift the banket. We have nothing to hide.

Terence lifts the blanket.

As I suspected! It's Baby Possum! says the ranger.

Banjo, says Banjo. Hello Ranger Roger. What are you doing here?

Looking for you, says Ranger Roger. You're a long way from home.

We're going to the Ada Tree, says Banjo.

Then we'll take him back to his hollow, says Gaius. 

How can I be sure of that? asks Ranger Roger.

You have my word as a natural historian, says Gaius.

And mine, says Pierre-Louis.

Who are you? asks Ranger Roger.

Gaius Plinius Secundus and Pierre-Louis Maupertuis, says Gaius.

They're famous, says Terence. They go in the Tour de France. 

Not me, says Pierre-Louis. But I did compete in this year's Tour Down Under.

As did I, says Gaius. Shall we keep going? It occurs to me that we don't have much time.

All right, says Ranger Roger. But I'll come with you.

He sees no harm in it.

And they might agree to a selfie.


No comments: