Friday, June 9, 2023

That's Enough Future

Now what? asks Terence.

Ranger Roger is returning Banjo to his parents, says Gaius.

Where are we going? asks Terence.

Back to Yellingbo, says Gaius. To return Easter Morning. Get in.

Terence climbs into the carriage.

What's happening? asks Squattu. Where did Banjo go?

Back to his parents, says Terence.

Now there's just the three of us, says Easter Morning.

You're next, says Terence.

I don't have any parents, says Easter Morning.

You have to go back where you came from, says Terence.

Why? asks Easter Morning.

Because we're going to Bilbo, says Terence. It's in Spain.

Bilbao, says Squattu.

How do you know? asks Terence. You weren't listening.

I know there's no Bilbo in Spain, says Squattu.

I could come with you, says Easter Morning.

No you couldn't, says Terence. We go on a plane.

Okay, says Easter Morning. So this is our last day together.

Yes, says Terence. Let's watch the movie again.

What's the movie? asks Squattu. 

It's me walking, says Easter Morning. Then I trip and the drone crashes into a tree.

And is that the end? asks Squattu.

Yes, says Easter Morning.

It sounds short, says Squattu.

It is short, says Terence. But it's long if you play it over and over.

Let's see it, says Squattu.

Terence shows Squattu the movie, several times.

It needs an epilogue, says Squattu. 

Oh yes! says Easter Morning. With me in it.

Whats an epi-log? asks Terence.

A bit at the end, Squattu. 

Ha ha, laughs Terence. Like a tail?

The end of the tale, says Squattu. Where Easter Morning talks about his future.

Okay, says Terence. I'll get it set up.

He grabs the control panel, and turns on the drone.

Up-knob. Stop. Hover. The drone hovers above Easter Morning, inside the carriage.

Talk, says Terence.

Easter Morning talks: Skinks can't hurt their toes, so I was okay. I went to the Ada Tree with my friends, all except Squatty. A man took a photo. I was on the tree with Banjo. Terence pretended he was climbing the tree.

I WAS climbing the tree, says Terence.

Shush! says Squattu. Let him tell it.

Easter Morning continues: Now Banjo has gone back to his parents. And I have to go back to Yellingbo. Another Banjo lives there. I know where he lives. I'll find him. I'll tell him about the movie, and the secret name of the tree. We will eat wasps together, if he wants to......

Easter Morning stops talking. That's enough future.

Cut! says Terence. 

Lovely! says Squatty.  


No comments: