Tuesday, June 6, 2023

One Knee Up, Ker..lick

Banjo speeds down the tree.

What's up there? asks Terence.

Secrets, says Banjo.

What are they? asks Terence.

I can't say, says Banjo. 

What are they about? asks Terence.

Don't pester him, says Gaius.

I never pester, says Terence.

How about a photo? says Ranger Roger. 

Excellent idea, says Gaius. 

With all of us in it, says Ranger Roger, as a memento.

Even better, says Gaius. I'll take one without me and Pierre-Louis can take one without him.

One of the hikers overhears and offers to take a group photo.

Many thanks, says Gaius. Now let's see. Terence and Banjo in front. Myself, Pierre-Louis and Ranger Roger behind. Easter Morning, up the tree at head height. How will that look?

Good, says the hiker. And if I squat you'll get an idea of the height of the Ada.

The group disposes themselves in front of the Ada.

Gaius gives the hiker his phone.

Ker..lick! 

They all look at the photo.

Where am I ? asks Easter Morning.

Obscured by my head, says Gaius. We'll take another.

And where am I ? asks Banjo.

There, says Terence.

I should be up the tree, says Banjo.

Yes, you should, says Gaius. Get up there beside Easter Morning.

Can I be up the tree too? asks Terence.

This is getting ridiculous, says Pierre-Louis.

And what about Squatty? says Terence. She should be in it.

She's asleep in the carriage, a long way back down the trail, says Gaius. 

Are we ready? asks the hiker. How about I take one with the adults and another one with the kid and the wildlife?

Yes! says Terence. And I'll be up the tree.

You can't be up the tree, says Ranger Roger. It's protected.

We can make it look as if you're up the tree, says the hiker. I learned it in Europe.

Learned what? asks Gaius.

How to take that sort of photo, says the hiker. Like your holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa. That type of thing.

We are in a bit of a hurry, says Gaius. 

No worries, says the hiker. Hold the kid up. Now kid, Turn a bit sideways. One arm like its curved round the trunk of the tree. One knee up. Look down.

Hurry up, says Gaius. Terence is heavy.

What about us? asks Banjo.

Stay where you are, says Pierre-Louis. And you'll be in it.

They sure will, says the hiker.

Ker..lick!

Great. The hiker does a quick edit. 

Very nice, says Gaius. Look, Terence.

Can we send it to Sweezus? asks Terence.

I don't see why not, says Gaius.

He sends it to Sweezus, who is eating a Cheeky Greek yiros, at Henley, and is mildly surprised.


No comments: