Monday, May 2, 2011

Doing Both

The VeloDrone entered the office early one morning to find Belle et Bonne already at her desk, a large brown dog at her feet.

Good morning my dear, said the VeloDrone. I see you have acquired a dog.

No, she hasn't, said the dog.

Good heavens, cried the VeloDrone. It talks!

You mustn't be rude papa, said Belle et Bonne. This is Farquhar MacTaggart. He has recently attached himself to a new friend of mine, who is busy during the day, so Farquhar is keeping me company.

Pleased to meet you Farquhar MacTaggart, said The VeloDrone, recollecting his manners. A fine name you have. Are you interested in philosophy?

I am, said Farquhar. It has long been my intention to write a treatise on happiness, as it is experienced by members of my species.

Fascinating, said The VeloDrone. You don't ride a bicycle by any chance, do you?

Look at me, said Farquhar. I'm a dog. Perhaps you would like to reframe the question.

Ummm, said the VeloDrone. Do you perhaps enjoy chasing after bicycles?

I do indeed, said Farquhar.

Wonderful, said The VeloDrone. Farquhar MacTaggart, may I invite you to write a short article for Velosophy?

I should be honoured, replied Farquhar.

But Farquhar, interrupted Belle et Bonne, you're supposed to be collaborating with Jesus on his.

Like I can't do both, said the dog.

No comments: