Monday, May 23, 2011

Thought Provoking

That evening Farky bounced into the Velosophy office, where The VeloDrone and Belle et Bonne were working late.

Farky! cried Belle et Bonne. You're back! How did you like the Zoo?

A mixed bag, sniffed Farky. But overall I think it did me good. I now understand more about happiness as it relates to my own species.

Good, said The VeloDrone. Where's that article you promised?

Problem, said Farky. I can't write. Perhaps I could dictate it to one of you.

Of course you can Farky, said Belle et Bonne. Fire away.

Farky began:

There are two kinds of dog. One has never been inside a Zoo. The other has. I am of the latter kind. I was happy before I entered the Zoo. At the Zoo I was forced into bad behaviour. I stole a hat, and later, a pie. Outside the Zoo I met Horatio. He was named after someone in CSI. He is the wrong colour. He will never see the inside of a Zoo. He understood that I was better than him. He didn't know about the hat, or the pie.

Where is this going? asked The VeloDrone. And I hope you haven't forgotten the bicycle.

What bicycle? said Farky.

There has to be a bicycle in it, said Belle et Bonne. Had you forgotten?

No, no, said Farky. I haven't finished:

This made me wonder about the nature of dog happiness. I had not liked the Zoo. I would have preferred to have ridden a bicycle around the outer perimeter. I would have begun at the entrance, cycled through the Botanic Park following the zoo walls, crossed the Hackney Bridge and returned via the Linear Park river trail. From there I might have heard the gibbons calling. Finally I would have returned to the entrance past the speaking posts that beg for money. Of course I would have felt no obligation to give the Zoo any money. However, as I cannot ride a bicycle, none of this is ever likely to happen.

That's brilliant Farky, said Belle et Bonne. So thought-provoking!

Not bad at all, said the Velodrone.

Thanks, said Farquhar MacTaggart.

No comments: