Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Taste or Appetite

Just then, Le Bon David came into the office.

Good morning all, he said.

Seeing Farquhar MacTaggart, he opened his mouth to say something more.

Before you say anything, Uncle David, said Belle et Bonne, let me introduce you to Farquhar MacTaggart. He's writing a short article for Velosophy. Farquhar, this is David Hume, also known as Le Bon David. I call him Uncle David, although he's not my real uncle.

She does it to annoy me, said Le Bon David. But I do not mind.

David Hume, the famous Scottish philosopher? said Farquhar. Good morning Mr Hume. Pleased to meet you. I've long admired your essays on the subject of happiness.

Have you indeed? said Le Bon David, pleased. Do call me David. And I must say you have a very fine name for a dog. Are you named after the first Earl of Ross?

Aye, that I am, said Farquhar, in an unconvincing accent.

Well, well, and what is to be the subject of your article, besides bicycles of course? asked Le Bon David.

Happiness, as it relates to my species, said Farquhar MacTaggart. I should be interested to hear your views on the subject. I know you make a distinction between taste and appetite, for example. We dogs make no such distinction.

Indeed, said Le Bon David. I maintain a man will be made happier by what pleases his taste than by what gratifies his appetites.

I see, said Farquhar MacTaggart. Do you mean to say that the first bite is the sweetest?

No, I do not, said Le Bon David. Perhaps we should first set out what each of us means when we use the word taste.

I say, said Farquhar MacTaggart, I am having fun.

That's nice, said Belle et Bonne. Shall I get us some tea?

Yes please, said Farquhar MacTaggart. And do you have any snacks?

No comments: