Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Moral Dilemma

Sweezus went back to the Panda Shop.

Can I have a Panda Hat? he asked the woman at the counter.

Certainly, she replied. They haven't been selling very fast, she added. You can have this one for a dollar.

Thanks! said Sweezus, getting out his money.

On the way back to the Zoo entrance he began to wonder about the Panda Hat deal with Farky. Farky had stolen the hat. Now Farky wanted a dollar for it. But Sweezus had just paid a dollar for a Panda Hat in a perfectly legitimate transaction. He would have to speak to Farky.

Farky was waiting near the entrance.

Did you get one? he asked.

Yes, said Sweezus. I got it for half price. Now I have a moral dilemma.

What is it? asked Farky.

I promised to buy your Panda Hat for a dollar, said Sweezus. But you stole your Panda Hat. Why should I pay you a dollar for a stolen Panda Hat, when I can buy a Panda Hat for a dollar from the Panda Shop?

It was a moral dilemma before you were offered the discount, said Farky. Why didn't you think of it before? If it helps, I would claim that as a dog I can't be charged with stealing. I am currently attached to you. Therefore you are responsible for me and for the theft of the Panda Hat.

So I don't owe you a dollar then, said Sweezus.

Alright, no you don't, said Farky. Can we go now?

I owe someone a dollar, said Sweezus, looking worried.

Put it in the donation box, said Farky.

Farky, said Sweezus. I love you.

He dropped a dollar into the donation box.

No comments: