Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hope Away

They returned to the Panda Enclosure. Sweezus began sketching and scribbling down notes. Someone took a photograph of Farky in his black and white plastic Panda Hat.

They think I'm a Panda, boasted Farky.

I bet they don't, said Sweezus. The rest of you is brown.

How's the assignment going? asked Farky.

Sweezus sighed.

I'm not sure whether to go for a simple descriptive narrative, or whether to introduce a bit of humour, he said. What do you think, Farky?

Don't try to be funny, said Farky. That's my advice. You don't have much sense of humour.

Don't I? said Sweezus, surprised. Oh well, thanks, Farky.

When's lunch? asked Farky. I'm starving.

I'm just going to see the Pygmy Hippos, said Sweezus. Then I'll meet you at the wooden tables. I have a couple of apples in my pocket we can share.

Ten minutes later Farky bounded up to the wooden table where Sweezus was waiting. Sweezus couldn't help noticing the end of a greenish-purple feather protruding from the corner of Farky's mouth.

I hope that's not an exotic bird you've been eating, he said, sternly.

Hope away, said Farky. Where's my apple?

No comments: