Friday, May 20, 2011

Provenance

I just need to go into the Zoo Shop, said Sweezus. I want to buy presents for Marie and Belle et Bonne.

Presents! said Farky. They won't want tacky Zoo Shop presents.

It'll show I was thinking of them, said Sweezus. Are you coming in?

No, said Farky. There might be questions about the provenance of my Panda hat. I'll wait outside.

Alright, said Sweezus, going into the shop.

The Zoo Shop wasn't like the Panda Shop. The Panda Shop sold only Panda products. The Zoo Shop sold all sorts of furry zoo animal toys (except for Pandas), books, jigsaw puzzles, pencils and spoons. Sweezus picked up a toy zebra. It didn't have any eyes. He didn't think Marie or Belle et Bonne would like that.

Eventually, he left without purchasing anything.

Go back to the Panda Shop, suggested Farky. Buy them a Wang Wang and a Funi.

What! said Sweezus, I can't give one of them a Wang Wang and the other a Funi !

Yes, you can said Farky. They won't fight over toys. They're grown up women.

I don't know, said Sweezus. Women are funny about things like that. Who would get the Wang Wang?

Well, said Farky, slowly, buy them two Funis.

That would be wrong, said Sweezus. Everyone knows Wang Wang and Funi are a pair.

Okay, buy two Wang Wangs and two Funis, and give them each a pair, said Farky.

I'm not made of money, said Sweezus sadly.

I know what you can give them! said Farky. And it will only cost you two dollars. I mean three dollars, he added quickly.

What? asked Sweezus.

Buy another Panda Hat, said Farky. They only cost two dollars. And I'll let you have mine for a dollar.

A dollar? said Sweezus. Done!

No comments: