Tuesday, May 31, 2011

No One Wants Bread

It wasn't long before they were all back in the Kia Rio, heading for Mrs Hume's apartment with an enormous serve of fish and chips wrapped up in white paper.

Ouch it's hot! said Farky, who had offered to hold the fish and chips on his lap. Only, as he soon discovered, he did not have a lap.

Ouch ! Ouch! he cried.

Give it to me, said The VeloDrone. I don't know why you wanted to hold it in the first place.

So I could smell it! whined Farky pathetically.

We can all smell it, wherever it is, said Mrs Hume. This is a very small car.

Soon they were inside Mrs Hume's apartment, with the lights and the heater on, and the table set with four plates for the fish and chips.

Where's my plate? asked Farky.

On the floor in the kitchen, said Mrs Hume.

Mother, said Le Bon David. I must insist that you treat Farky as one of us. He is a member of Team Philosophe.

Alright, David, said his mother. But I must say it is against all reason.

Farky sat up to the table and began to wolf down his fish and chips. Sweezus did the same. Le Bon David and the VeloDrone waited for Mrs Hume to begin eating.

Why have I got so many chips? asked Mrs Hume. Has someone put some of theirs on my plate when I wasn't looking?

No mother, said Le Bon David. Why would anyone do that?

Would anyone like any bread? continued Mrs Hume, spearing a chip with her fork.

No! said Team Philosophe.

For a time, a chomping silence reigned.

No comments: