Sunday, May 8, 2011

Not Everyone is Loved by Dogs

Sweezus and Farky were walking to the zoo, beside a main road. A car went by, driven by a young woman. Across the top of the windscreen were the words JESUS LOVES YOU.

I hate that, said Sweezus.

Do you? said Farquhar. Why?

Because, said Sweezus, it implies I love everyone who looks at the windscreen, which I don't. In particular that young woman driving the car.

She's looking at it from behind, observed Farky.

Good, said Sweezus. I hope she realises what that means.

You're a hard man, said Farky, I think it's a very nice sentiment.

How would you like it if it said FARKY LOVES YOU? asked Sweezus.

I'd be astonished if it said that, said Farky.

Why? asked Sweezus.

Because nobody believes dogs love everyone, replied Farky.

Some people do, said Sweezus.

Well, I would like it if it was on the windscreen of a person who believed it, said Farky.

They walked on in silence for a while.

Are we there yet? asked Farky.

Yes, we are, said Sweezus, walking up to the Zoo ticket office. Good morning. Two please!

I'm sorry, you can't bring that dog in here, said the ticket seller.

No comments: