Monday, May 30, 2011

The Fish and Chip Shop at Last

Speaking of the Tardis, said Mrs Hume, squeezing into the passenger seat of the Kia Rio next to Le Bon David, did anyone see Doctor Who last week?

I did, said Sweezus, who was sitting in the back, squashed between Farky and The Velodrone.

Was it good? asked Mrs Hume. I missed it because my daughter and I went out to dinner and afterwards we went on to a birthday party at the Bowling Club.

Did you mother? said Le Bon David. The Bowling Club? Was it nice?

It was lovely, said Mrs Hume. It was all done up. All the young people were dancing. Do you enjoy dancing? she asked Sweezus.

No, said Sweezus, but I like watching Doctor Who.

Do you really? said Mrs Hume. What a coincidence. Now David, do you know the way to the Fish and Chip Shop?

Of course I do, mother, said David. Straight on until Brighton, then turn right and head towards the sea.

Good directions, sniggered Farky.

Ha ha! laughed The VeloDrone. We'll all end up in the sea!

Shut up, said Le Bon David. I need to concentrate on my driving. I'm not used to it.

Still riding your bicycle I suppose, said his mother. Have you done any proper philosophy lately David? He used to be such a brilliant philosopher, she added, turning round and glaring at The VeloDrone. Until he got mixed up with your magazine. David, I wish you would get rid of your bicycle and buy a car. Your sister has a big one.

Yes mother, said Le Bon David. I know.

A bit too big, added his mother. I could hardly climb up into it.

At last they pulled up at the Brighton Fish and Chip Cafe. It was night time and the stars were out. They piled out of the Kia Rio and stood for a moment looking at the gleaming black sea heaving and rolling under the Brighton Jetty. Then they went into the shop.

No comments: