Saturday, April 20, 2013

Careful What You Put Where

Ageless, says Gaius, tapping Ageless's head, the cuttlefish is not your brother.

Ageless opens one eye.

We are all brothers, croaks Ageless. And my brothers are tragically dead.

They're not your brothers, says Gaius. The cuttlefish belongs to the phylum mollusca, and is classed as a cephalopod. What are you?

You know very well, says Ageless. Why are you asking? Stop playing the pedant. I won't have it.

I know what he is, says Bunny. I did biology at school. He's an arthropod, or a decapod or something.

Miss Smarty, says Ageless. Although you are right. But did you know this? I am also immortal.

Wow! says Bunny. Immortal. But I've eaten lobster.

You are missing the point, says Ageless.

Arthur comes back from the end of the jetty with Victor.

The fire's out, says Arthur. But we could light it again.

Everyone looks at the Mayor.

No, we can't commit arson, says the Mayor. That would look even worse. Victor, do you have a freezer?

I don't want them back, says Victor. Let's just throw them in the water and be done.

I'm not happy with that, says the Mayor. This is a No Take Zone.

Yes, but where does the No Take Zone start? says Gaius.

North of the Jetty, says Victor.

The answer is suddenly obvious to everyone.

Arthur pushes the box to the south side of the jetty, and shoves it over the side with his foot.

The dead cuttlies float out, in a widening pool of black ink.

Farewell my brothers, declares Ageless. At least you've escaped being eaten..

Was that the point I was missing? says Bunny.

Arthur, says Lavender, loudly. I want to go in your pocket. I think Bunny is mean.

Me too, says Baby Pierre.

It's all one to Arthur. He picks up Lavender and Baby Pierre and puts them both in his pocket.

He's forgotten what else is in there.


No comments: