Saturday, April 13, 2013

Six Dollars Short Of A Squid

It's six dollars entry, says Victor, when they reach the Wallaroo Heritage and Nautical Museum.

Six dollars! says Gaius. That's pricey! I suppose I have six dollars somewhere.

He feels in his pockets. No luck.

Never mind, says Victor. I'll treat you.

Thank you, Victor, says Gaius. Now where's this renowned Giant Squid?

Over there, says Victor, pointing to the prize exhibit, preserved in formalin.

This is George, says Victor. George was found inside the stomach of a whale thirty years ago. He's at least five feet long.

Even longer with his tentacles extended, says Gaius, I should say about 28 feet.

Spot on, says Victor. I can see you're an expert. May I  come to your lecture tonight?

Do, says Gaius. I intend to make everyone sit up and think about cuttlefish.

Spot on, says Victor, again.

...........

Baby Pierre has finally got through to Ageless.

Who is it? asks Ageless

Baby Pierre, says Baby Pierre.

My dear boy! cries Ageless.

So you admit you're my daddy! says Baby Pierre.

No, says Ageless. I retract that. It's just an expression. Where are you, Baby Pierre?

I'm in Wallaroo, says Baby Pierre. I came here with Gaius, but he's ...

Ageless is furious. GAIUS IS IN WALLAROO?

But they left me on the bus......, falters Baby Pierre.

THEY? roars Ageless. There are OTHERS?

What's the matter? says Baby Pierre

You sit tight, says Ageless. I'll be there on the very next bus.

...........

Meanwhile Bunny and Lavender have joined Violetta at Cafe Mia, a beachfront cafe.

This is lovely, says Bunny. Good coffee, great cakes and a brilliant view.

Not bad, says Violetta. But hurry up and finish and piss off you two.

Why? says Bunny, offended.

I work alone, says Violetta. And it's time to start planning my shit.




No comments: