Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Cuttlefish Propaganda

Alphabetical or date, says Gaius. It doesn't matter. Order is the thing.

Arthur sits down at the kitchen table to put the notes in order. It should be easy. Everything starts with C.

Cuttlefish.

He makes three piles, and arranges them in date order.

There, says Arthur. Done. Did you attend the Cuttlefish Protection Celebration?

No! says Gaius. Have I missed it?

Looks like it, says Arthur. It was on the 28th of March at the Saracens Head.

You see! says Gaius. This is an example of how much I need you. I was going to go to that.

What were they celebrating? asks Arthur.

A No Take Area in the Spencer Gulf, north of Wallaroo, says Gaius. A wonderful development for the Giant Australian Cuttlefish, which uniquely breeds there. But there is still much to be done. A desalination plant is being proposed at Port Lowly. The extra salt produced will kill the cuttlefish and squid eggs. We must fight on.

Wow! says Bunny. You're an activist! Like Banksy.

Banksy's not an activist, says Gaius. He's a street artist, who makes political statements through his art.

That makes him an activist, says Bunny. Why don't we get your friend Splosh! on board to save the cuttlefish.

What a clever child you are, says Gaius. Putting two and two together like that. I shall call Violetta immediately. She will splosh cuttlefish propaganda all over town. Then we'll have some lunch. Do you both like cucumbers?

No, says Arthur. I don't.

Nor do I, says Bunny.

What a pity, says Gaius. Because I grow them, and right now I have a glut.

No comments: