Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Golden Cuttlebox

Everyone is on the bus back to Adelaide.

Gaius is sitting next to Violetta, with the Twitcher on his lap.

That was most satisfactory, says Gaius. We have contributed to the welfare of the cuttlefish, made some new friends, and I'm to be funded to Turkey.

Thanks to the Twitcher, says Violetta, tapping the side of the aquarium.

Twitcher sways gracefully in his salt water. Some salt water slops out.

Keep still, Twitcher, says Gaius. You're wetting my pants. You will have to behave yourself. It's a long way to Turkey.

And my lady love, says the Twitcher.

Ha ha, says Violetta. Is that what you call her? How quaint.

She has many names, says the Twitcher. The Golden Cuttlebox.....

No no, says Gaius. That's not right. Anyway I have something to tell you. You had better brace up.

What? says the Twitcher, expectantly.

We are going to Turkey, says Gaius. But we are not going to Kas. We are going to Pamukkale, and the famed Gate of Hell.

The Twitcher turns pale.

Gaius! says Violetta. Did you put that in your grant application?

Not exactly, says Gaius. I was obliged to be circumspect.

Circumspect, says Violetta. That means you lied.

I'm going to Kas, says the Twitcher. No matter what. My brother Ageless will take me.

Did my brother call me? says Ageless, from across the aisle.

No he didn't, says Gaius.  There is no problem.

We're splitting, says the Twitcher. Put me next to Ageless my brother.

Go on, says Violetta. Put him down over there. Then he won't splash your pants.

Gaius reluctantly repositions the Twitcher next to Ageless.

He waves his hands over his trousers, back and forth, back and forth.

This is hardly ideal.  His pants are not drying.

And Twitcher is showing some spunk.


No comments: