Monday, April 1, 2013

Slowly Getting Screwed

It is still the Easter picnic. Bunny is sitting next to Mrs Hume. They are discussing books.

Bunny is leafing through her new book from Shakespeare and Company, a paperback copy of Lourdes, by Emile Zola.

I see why Marie and Belle et Bonne gave me this, says Bunny. It's about miracles and stuff. What did they give you?

Funnily enough, says Mrs Hume, they've given me the same book. Lourdes.

You probably won't like it, says Bunny. I bet you don't believe in miracles at all.

It's possible that Zola doesn't either, says Mrs Hume. Have you thought of that?

If he doesn't, says Bunny, why doesn't he say so at the beginning?

He wants us to read the book, says Mrs Hume. Let us do so. Then we can have a book club when we're done.

Alright, says Bunny, but that will be a while off. I'm heaps busy.

Why, surely it doesn't take long to read a book, says Mrs Hume. And you may not be so busy now Marie and Belle are back. Have you decided when you'll be moving out?

What? says Bunny. I'm not moving out.

I thought you were just living in their house while they were in Paris, says Mrs Hume.

I was, says Bunny. But I haven't anywhere to go.

You can always move in with me, says Mrs Hume. I'd like a young companion.

Well, maybe, if they kick me out, says Bunny.

Belle et Bonne has been listening.

Of course we won't kick you out, Bunny, says Belle et Bonne. You can move into the spare room if you like. And you can keep working on the Banksy project too, until it's finished.

Then what? says Bunny. Oh I get it! I'm slowly getting screwed.

She stands up and flounces off to talk to Arthur.

Arthur, says Bunny, where do you live, when you're in town?

Nowhere, come to think of it, says Arthur. I might look up Gaius. Do you want to come?

Yes, says Bunny. No one likes me here.

She walks back to the table, picks up Lourdes, and leaves with Arthur, who looks nice again, now that his nits are gone.




No comments: