Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Cuttlefish, Banksy And The Gate To Hell.

Knock knock.

Gaius opens the door.

Arthur! Just the man I want to see. Bunny! How nice to see you. Do come in, says Gaius.

They go into the kitchen where Gaius has been spreading out his notes.

You're a writer too! says Bunny. What are you writing?

I have many projects, says Gaius. Endangered cuttlefish for one...... But you have caught me at a most exciting moment. I have just heard that a certain Professor D'Andria has discovered the Gate to Hell at Pamukkala, somewhere in Turkey!

The Gate to Hell! says Bunny. Dad would like that! What is it?

An opening to the underworld, says Gaius, from whence emerged mephitic vapours that killed every animal that passed inside, according to the Greek geographer Strabo.

How did he know? says Arthur.

He threw in sparrows, says Gaius, whereupon they breathed their last.

Wow, says Bunny. That's cruelty.

No, says Gaius, that's science. I should very much like to see this Gate to Hell.

Are you going? says Arthur. Because we need somewhere to stay.

I am thinking of it, says Gaius. I just need the funds.....Now what was that? You need somewhere to stay? Why didn't you say so? You must both stay and help me sort out my papers.

We'll be busy, says Arthur. We're doing a Banksy project for Velosophy.

Bunny looks surprised. Since when was Arthur doing the Banksy project?

Banksy! says Gaius. There's someone I admire.

Bunny looks more surprised.

How come you even heard of Banksy? asks Bunny.

I am a friend of Splosh! says Gaius. She keeps me up to speed.

Splosh! Would she know Banksy? says Bunny.

They all know one another, says Gaius airily. Faile, Swoon, Micallef, Choe, Insect......

Brilliant, says Bunny. Because we haven't got too far with Banksy. He's so elusive.

Just you make yourselves at home, says Gaius, I'll get on to Violetta. That's her real name. Or so she has led me to believe. Now Arthur, here are my notes on cuttlefish, will you kindly put them in some kind of order.

Cuttlefish, says Arthur. Easy. Alphabetical or date?

No comments: